Poprzedni temat «» Następny temat
Online matches between top players
Autor Wiadomość
zukole 

Wysłany: 2018-11-22, 11:15   

Usiek wygrał.

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2018-11-22, 16:34   

Last Sunday the current king of the hill in advanced gomoku, Łukasz Majksner, also known as Usiek, spectacularly won the first game of his match in advanced gomoku against the challenger, Márk Horváth from Hungary, and thereby secured that the title remains Usiek's.

The match was announced in my previous post. To remind, advanced gomoku is a term analogous to advanced chess and means that the players can use any programs to analyse positions. The contenders were also allowed to use any other kind of help, such as move databases and hints by other people. The time control was 120+30.

Márk fought like a lion, but Usiek once again proved to be a real virtuoso and created yet another masterpiece of positional play.

Here is the link to the game: http://www.piskvorky.net/...iek&value=24230

I highly recommend looking at the game and learning from it.

If you want to analyse the game in Yixin, here is the game record: b4c4e3f5g4g6e4e5d5f3f4h4d6d4f6f8c6b6e8d9e9e10c8c9f11g10f10g11f12f13g9i7

The above code is simply the move sequence, which you can use to conveniently load the game in Yixin as follows: In Yixin's command line, type the command putpos, add a space, insert the above code, and press Enter.

The opening was put by Usiek, and Márk chose black, not adding two stones.

The game can serve as a textbook of positional play. Just like a giant python, Usiek slowly but consistently choked his opponent, building a position that is so clearly winning that his opponent surrendered despite that it was still a long way to a winning fork.

Look at the game to see how masterfully Usiek secured a vast piece of land to launch a decisive attack. He completely blocked black on the left half of the board, occupying key points in such a smart way that the opponent was unable to do anything, and got the entire right half of the board as a result. And when Usiek put there his first stone, Márk surrendered out of complete hopelessness.

This is an ideal illustration of gomoku strategy, and strategy is exactly what programs cannot do. Programs choose moves so as to maximise the evaluation function, which, at least in this stage of evolution of computer gomoku, takes into account only local resources such as free space around stones and some specific stone composition shapes. Usiek, in contrast, chose moves that were the best to fit the strategy he had chosen. To rephrase a well-known quote of Bismarck, gomoku is the art of the possible, and, following this principle, Usiek considered the possible moves, i.e, the moves that were not leading to a quick, tactical loss, and chose those moves that were the best in terms of the chosen strategy. And by consistently making choices in this way, Usiek created a real piece of art.

Just look how beautiful the final position is - the position in which Márk put his stone in a corner as his surrender (see the diagram below). Black is packed, pinned, and firmly tied, and its resources are cut, dissected, and lying like a dead mass, waste matter, and useless slag.

Usiek says that Márk can be honoured for the resistance he showed. According to Usiek, somewhere in the beginning of the game Márk was able to choose the only continuation that was not giving a more or less direct win to Usiek. Any player less skilful than Márk well might lose much faster than Márk did. Márk had to extremely carefully choose his moves in order not to lose quickly and at the same to fight positionally. Usiek says that the positional fight was extremely fierce.

And, just like people win in arm-wrestling, Usiek simply overpowered and pinned his opponent in this positional fight. Usiek simply proved to be stronger and more powerful.

And this is what professional play is - not to set a trap such as a scheme that has an unexpected continuation, but to simply put a corner opening and to positionally choke the opponent as a giant python does. Usiek was like a gigantic powerful snake that frightens any human being to an extent similar to the one that makes a gomoku player capitulate long before a wining fork - just as Márk capitulated. Usiek did not have to play even a single three, four, or fukumi during the entire game.

Being known for aggressive play and attacking skills, Márk got overpowered and pinned by Usiek just as a fighter who relies on kicks and punches gets overpowered by a mighty jiu-jutsu master when it comes to ground fighting.

Márk is a decent player and an excellent blitz fighter who finished in the top 12 in the WBC 2018, and now he has learned what it is to play advanced gomoku against a real professional. It is a strategic fight of an extremely high quality. In terms of quality, comparing live games with advanced gomoku is like comparing drawings by kindergarten children with paintings by Rembrandt and da Vinci. The player uses his computer just as a painter uses his brush. Advanced gomoku is a real art.

The game developed in full view of Márk's good friend Zoli, who watched how his friend, compatriot, and Euroleague teammate got hopelessly overpowered and pinned by the mighty Pole. Zoli is the current king of one-minute gomoku and live gomoku, but the hill of advanced gomoku is outside the territory conquered by Zoli. And the king of that hill is Usiek, who taught a great master class in positional play last Sunday.

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2018-11-24, 16:54   

Today at 20:00 Warsaw time Łukasz Majksner, also known as Usiek, and Márk Horváth will play the second, final game of their match in advanced gomoku on piskvorky.net. After the first game, the score is 1-0 in Usiek's favour, so he has already secured that the title remains his, but I am sure that Márk will do his best and utmost to win tonight's game, out of his sense of honour towards himself and his country. That's the Hungarian spirit. And I am sure that Usiek will again show his serious professional approach, so a great battle is coming. Come watch tonight's game - it will be of great quality, bring emotions, and make interesting material that may give an insight into deep mysteries of our beautiful game :)

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2018-11-26, 10:09   

Last Saturday Usiek won the second game against Márk, thereby winning the match 2-0 and once again proving to be extremely powerful in advanced gomoku!

Here is the game record: l3n6n4k5j4j6i7k8i5h6i6i4k6h7l5m4k3l4j3m3n2m6l2m1j5m7m5j2k4m2f5g4

The above code is simply the move sequence, which you can use to conveniently load the game in Yixin as follows: In Yixin's command line, type the command putpos, add a space, insert the above code, and press Enter.

The opening was put by Márk, and Usiek chose white, not adding two stones.

You can also have a look at the game at: http://www.piskvorky.net/...iek&value=24626

The game looked similar to the first game of the match. The game again developed from a corner opening, and Márk again played black. Again positional fighting ensued, and Márk again resigned after move 32 - exactly after the same number of moves as in the first game of the match. And, like in the first game of the match, it was still a long way to a five, but it was obvious that white had a decisive advantage.

Anyway, Márk deserves a lot of respect for having a courage to play against such a strong player as Usiek. Márk showed very decent play, but Usiek proved to be simply too powerful - so powerful that beating him in a match seems to be a mission impossible.

Congratulations to Usiek! The ruling king has defended his throne already from three challengers - Barbos, Peroxid, and Márk!

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2018-12-01, 18:13   

Tonight at 20:00 Warsaw time a new title match in advanced gomoku starts - the current king of the hill, Łukasz Majksner aka Usiek, faces a new challenger, legendary Piotr Małowiejski aka Angst! The match will be played on the Czech server piskvorky.net and, as usual, consist of two games with the time control 120+30.

Angst is an extremely experienced veteran of Polish gomoku who also earned great respect by his social and leadership skills. He played in 47 live tournaments shown on Gomokuworld, starting more than a decade ago, and successfully led the Polish national team to the first world championship title in 2016. He captains Dark Team, one of the strongest Euroleague teams, and is the Polish representative in the Euroleague committee. He also was one of the main organisers of the last world team championship. As a player, Angst is particularly known for his special opening, in which two black stones are placed adjacent to each other at the middle of an edge, and the white stone is placed at the opposite edge. The opening is now generally referred to as Angst's opening and often makes people confused by tricky threats. In live games, Angst took scalps from a number of very strong players including Puholek and Gacul.

Usiek, the current king of the hill, proved to be a real virtuoso of advanced gomoku and does not need to be introduced in this announcement in detail. In live gomoku, he became the gomoku champion of Poland in 2016 and also won the world team championship title as a member of the Polish national team in 2016 as well as the silver medal of the Fishparty in Hradec Kralove in 2018. His deep understanding of positional play, incredible computer analysis skills, devotion to gomoku, passion for home analysis, and serious professional approach are what makes him incredibly strong in advanced gomoku.

If the match ends 1-1 or in Usiek's favour, Usiek retains his title, otherwise Angst will be the new title holder.

As usual, the contenders can use whatever they want, including any programs, databases, hints by other people, and computational servers. What counts is only the moves the contenders make on the board. This is similar to the so-called online freestyle chess tournaments, which attract both amateurs and grandmasters (Link) and feature prize funds exceeding $10000 (Link) as well as prompt analyses by investment bank analysts who want to learn lessons from such battles (Link).

Come watch this epic Polish derby :)

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2018-12-08, 14:56   

The second, final game of the match between Usiek and Angst will be played tonight at 21:00 Warsaw time on piskvorky.net!

Usiek won the first game and thus has already defended his title.

Here is the game record: a8o8a9e8e9d7d9f8c9b9a10a7f9g9e7d8g8h7e11e10f12d10h10i8c8j9k10i9c11c10f10h9k9f11j7i6i7g6f5h6f6h5h8i4f7k6j6h3h4j5l7g2

The opening was put by Angst, and Usiek chose white.

After the game, Angst admitted to not using any program during the game, and it makes my wonder why he had decided not to use any program and exactly what he had wanted to show, prove, or test with that. In live gomoku, Usiek is 143 rating points above Angst and earned 3.5 points in 4 last live encounters between them, so even if Usiek had played without any program, he would most likely still have won. Supported by his programs and computer analysis skills, Usiek becomes many hundreds of rating points above his live level. He is the king of the hill in advanced gomoku for a reason.

But it was Angst's own choice how to play the game, and Usiek professionally and mercilessly outplayed him, demonstrating how weak and hopeless a human player without programs is. When it comes to counting, the human mind is simply weak.

Come watch tonight's master class by Usiek, the current king of advanced gomoku :)

angst 
Członek Zarządu
Kapitan IRP

Wysłany: 2018-12-09, 10:08   

sandra113 napisał/a:
Angst admitted to not using any program during the game, and it makes my wonder why he had decided not to use any program and exactly what he had wanted to show, prove, or test with that

You can always ask :)

Btw. your game description in my opinion suits more to the second game, as the first one was quite long and interesting, taking into consideration the difference in potential, as you mentioned yourself.

I cannot wait to see your comments after the first match lost by Usiek, which is going to happen sooner or later, as only someone with better hard/soft-ware will decide to join this competition. I can bet that "lucky" word will appear then ;)

Best regards,

Angst

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2018-12-10, 11:37   

angst napisał/a:
sandra113 napisał/a:
Angst admitted to not using any program during the game, and it makes my wonder why he had decided not to use any program and exactly what he had wanted to show, prove, or test with that

You can always ask :)

Consider the question asked :)

angst napisał/a:
Btw. your game description in my opinion suits more to the second game, as the first one was quite long and interesting, taking into consideration the difference in potential, as you mentioned yourself.

By the standards of advanced gomoku, the quality of play by anyone who uses only his own mind is extremely low, even if he is such an experienced, decent, skilful, wise, and psychologically strong player as you are.

Let us objectively look at the first game of the match. The position after 23-h10 is already a provable white win, which Usiek perfectly played. That is, you were in a lost position already after just ten moves of yours. And this was your favourite opening, to which Usiek did not add two stones, and you even knew the variant you played: Up to move 18, the moves were exactly the same as in your recent live game: http://gomokuworld.com/tournaments/230/14695 If we do not count the moves you had already played in that live game, we can say that you put yourself to a lost position in just 3 moves of yours.

In the second game of the match, the two stones added by you to Usiek's opening were already a provable black win. At the end of the game, Usiek had about 120 min left, almost exactly as in the beginning of the game. The Fischer increment was enough to fully or almost fully compensate him the time spent.

Figuratively speaking, you participated in a knight duel not using any body armour, sword, and shield, simply relying on your bare fists.

There is a famous legend that in the beginning of the Second World War, the Polish cavalry used to attack German tank divisions. Your match against Usiek made me think the legend well may be true :)

angst napisał/a:
I cannot wait to see your comments after the first match lost by Usiek, which is going to happen sooner or later, as only someone with better hard/soft-ware will decide to join this competition. I can bet that "lucky" word will appear then ;)

There have already been many matches in advanced gomoku (see the thread https://vk.com/topic-19499145_39125646), and, based on them, I can very confidently say that while software and hardware are factors, the skill also matters a lot. In particular, there have been a number of games in which one of the players was substantially worse equipped and nevertheless won. Unfortunately I cannot tell the specifics, as my statement is based on confidential information about equipment, but I assure you I am very confident in what I am saying.

A pure program, not supported by a human, is actually a pretty weak player. Some time ago I organised and promoted a game between Gergo Toth and Yixin: http://forum.gomoku.pl/viewtopic.php?p=58461#58461 Yixin was run on a standard laptop, and the time control was 60+30. Being not supported by any program, Gergo spectacularly won against the program not supported by any human.

Since a program by itself is such a weak player that it loses even to a human not equipped by any program at all, an advanced gomoku player has to sometimes make important decisions to overrule the program's suggestions. And the quality of those decisions is a very important factor. The program is just an instrument that has to be used properly and with a skill.

It is like in knight duels: The quality of the armour, shield, and sword matters, but you also have to masterfully use them.

Advanced gomoku is also similar to Formula One: A superior car gives an advantage, but the driving skill matters a lot, too.

Consider the following interesting fact: Vladimir Sushkov is twice the word renju champion (2009 and 2017) and also twice the world correspondence renju champion (2013 and 2014), and you know that in correspondence games it is allowed to use programs. If all what mattered in correspondence games were just the hardware and software, and if, consequently, the live championship and correspondence championship required very different qualities, wouldn't it be too much of a coincidence if these championships were won by one and the same person, twice each?

I talked with Usiek a lot about how he plays his advanced gomoku matches, and I assure you that there is really a lot of skill involved. He is a real virtuoso of advanced gomoku and hence a great expert in analysis - perhaps the best in the world.

zukole 

Wysłany: 2018-12-10, 18:29   

Śmiechłem czytając ostatni akapit.

AdiF 

Wysłany: 2018-12-10, 21:27   

Śmiech to zdrowie ;)

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-02-26, 16:37   

Tonight at 19:00 Warsaw time a great title match in advanced gomoku will start: The current king of the hill Łukasz Majksner, also known as Usiek, will face the challenger Nikolay Verevkin, also known as Cardinal, who deserved the right to challenge the king by convincingly demolishing Anatoly Smirnov 2-0 and doing the same again in a rematch with him!

The match will be played on the excellent Czech server piskvorky.net. Usiek and Cardinal will be under the nicknames usiek and melstagen, respectively. As usual, the match consists of two games, the time control is 120+30, and the opponents can use whatever they wish, including programs, move databases, and help by other people. This is what the name ''advanced gomoku'' stands for - everything is allowed. In case of a draw 1-1, Usiek retains the title.

The match is especially interesting because the opponents have very different backgrounds and very different approaches to the game. Usiek evolved as a player who often plays on playok.com and live tournaments. In advanced gomoku, he is a real artist who uses a program merely as a tool for determining which moves are not instantly losing, and creates a real masterpiece by making strategic choices between these moves. Cardinal, in contrast, evolved as an advanced-gomoku player, fighting by means of programs against other proggers on various Russian playing servers, and has never played in live tournaments. He focused on learning to play advanced gomoku, i.e., to play by using programs, created a huge move database, possesses very powerful hardware, and acquired, by trial and error, heaps of observations and skills that help make judgement with the help of programs. This is a cardinally different approach to the game, and this approach is successful, too: In particular, even the Russian gomoku champion, Denis Osipov, was unable to beat Cardinal in an advanced gomoku game with the time control 120+30, where both players used programs, and actually avoided a defeat by the skin of his teeth, being happy to achieve a draw against Cardinal in the end. In the current world correspondence gomoku championship, Cardinal is successfully fighting to advance from his qualification group, outpowering the Chinese player known as Heihei, who won the first qualification group of the world correspondence renju championship last year, and having already pushed him to the brink of a defeat: http://renju.in/en/igrat/game/?id=30402 . Interestingly, Cardinal is from a small city in the Russian outback, namely the city of Balakovo of Saratov oblast, and it is great that such a unique and strong player joined advanced and correspondence gomoku.

Usiek and Cardinal already played an advanced gomoku match with the time control 120+30 against each other a few months ago, and that match was won 2-0 by Usiek, who positionally outplayed his opponent in a solid and beautiful manner, but since then Cardinal has got considerably stronger and has been eagerly waiting for an opportunity to play a rematch, and he has now deserved the right to challenge the king for a title match by convincingly defeating such an experienced veteran or live, online, and correspondence gomoku as Anatoly Smirnov, also known as Barbos. Interestingly, Barbos played a title match against Usiek and lost 0.5-1.5, achieving a draw in one of the two games, whereas, as stated above, Cardinal recently beat Barbos 2-0 twice, i.e. 4-0 in total, not letting Barbos earn even a half-point. The power shown by Cardinal against Barbos was impressive.

The match will decide who of the contenders deserves to bear the title of king of the hill. Come watch this great battle between two great masters who have so different backgrounds and philosophies!

zukole 

Wysłany: 2019-03-04, 18:10   

Usiek wygrał obie gry.

Pierwsza - http://www.piskvorky.net/...iek&value=31609
Druga - http://www.piskvorky.net/...iek&value=31762

zukole 

Wysłany: 2022-11-14, 18:00   

W ciągu miesiąca odbyły się cztery spotkania promujące nową stronę o Gomoku - Gomoku.com.

19 października Gergő Tóth zremisował z Zoltánem László 3-3 (czas na grę 5 minut + 2 sekundy za ruch).

5 listopada Zoltán wygrał ze mną 19-10 (zasady WBC przy parametrach minuta + sekunda za ruch). Mecz jest dostępny na YouTube.

12 listopada zostały rozegrane dwa spotkania:
Igor Eged wygrał z Nguyễn Công Minh 19-9 (zasady WBC przy parametrach minuta + sekunda za ruch), a Petr Žižka pokonał Kacpra Wojtyrę 19-8 (zasady WBC przy parametrach minuta + sekunda za ruch).

zukole 

Wysłany: 2022-12-03, 09:50   

Spotkania rozegrane od listopada są dostępne tutaj. Uzupełniając informacje z wcześniejszego wpisu Łukasz Majksner 19,5 - 5,5 Lukáš Souček.

Dziś o 18:30 na gomoku.com Bogdan Brachaczek zmierzy się z Matīssem Rihertsem.

Odpowiedz do tematu