Forum Polskiego Stowarzyszenia Gomoku, Renju i Pente

FAQFAQ  SzukajSzukaj  UżytkownicyUżytkownicy  GrupyGrupy  StatystykiStatystyki
RejestracjaRejestracja  ZalogujZaloguj

Poprzedni temat «» Następny temat
Correspondence Gomoku
Autor Wiadomość
Owen

Wysłany: 2018-12-13, 20:37   Correspondence Gomoku

Dear friends, World Correpondence Gomoku Championship is about to start!

We are waiting for your applications at renjusignup yandex ru.
More details here:
https://sites.google.com/site/correspondencegomoku/home (thanks Usiek for this site)
Playing site is renju.su
Registration deadline is 22 Dec, so please hurry!

With best regards, Epifanov Dmitry.

Owen

Wysłany: 2018-12-15, 09:10   

Sorry, the deadline for registration is 20 Dec. 22 Dec is a scheduled start date.

angst 
Członek Zarządu
Kapitan IRP

Wysłany: 2018-12-15, 10:15   

Uzupełniając powyższe ogłoszenie dodam jeszcze, że jako osobę autoryzującą z Polski, wymaganą do wskazania w zgłoszeniu, Dmitry wytypował Uśka. Alternatywnie mogę być wskazany również ja :)

Zapraszamy do rywalizacji!

Pozdrawiam

Angst

zukole 

Wysłany: 2018-12-24, 11:48   

Mistrzostwa rozpoczęte!

W turniejach rywalizują Angst (grupa C) oraz Usiek (grupa A).

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-02-26, 04:31   

The world gomoku champion Zoltán László from Hungary is fighting a battle against the world correspondence renju champion Hao Tianyi from China in the world correspondence gomoku championship!

The current position is shown below. The opening was put by Zoltán, and Hao Tianyi chose white. The time control is 135 days. The remaining time each player has is shown on the left.

We see that the mighty Chinese is positionally outplaying the Hungarian, dominating and outpowering him. It seems obvious who is stronger, and it should not take too many moves before Zoltán gets pinned if he is not demoralised to continue at all. The last move made in this game was made more than a month ago.

You can always check the current position position at: http://renju.in/en/igrat/game/?id=30274

In this championship, Zoltán and Hao Tianyi are also playing a second game between them in parallel, in which the opening was put by the Chinese. In that game, the position is less obvious than in the above described game, but visually it seems that the Chinese is again positionally outplaying the Hungarian. Here is the link to the game: http://renju.in/en/igrat/game/?id=30275

Correspondence gomoku is a battle of strategists. What decides in this sport is strategic planning, the ability to focus on important branches, systematic thinking, skills of computer analysis, and deep understanding of the game. Correspondence gomoku is devoid of tactical blunders, so you cannot trick your opponent by setting a simple tactical trap as you do in live tournaments. It is a sport for those who have a great passion for analysis and appreciate the deep beauty of the game.

It seems that in this sport, the winner of the world gomoku championship is no match for the skilful Orient master. And it is no surprise to me. After all, gomoku is an oriental game.

zukole 

Wysłany: 2019-02-26, 17:45   

sandra113 napisał/a:
Correspondence gomoku is a battle of strategists. What decides in this sport is strategic planning, the ability to focus on important branches, systematic thinking, skills of computer analysis, and deep understanding of the game.
W taki sposób, będąc niekoniecznie mocnym graczem, można odnosić wirtualne sukcesy.

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-04-15, 15:08   

zukole napisał/a:
sandra113 napisał/a:
Correspondence gomoku is a battle of strategists. What decides in this sport is strategic planning, the ability to focus on important branches, systematic thinking, skills of computer analysis, and deep understanding of the game.
W taki sposób, będąc niekoniecznie mocnym graczem, można odnosić wirtualne sukcesy.

Is this why you play correspondence games, achieving already 311 virtual successes? :)

Or why do you play correspondence games? :)

And why do Vladimir Sushkov, Dmitry Epifanov, and Konstantin Nikonov play correspondence games? Vladimir Sushkov won the world correspondence renju championship in 2013 and 2014 and also won the world live renju championship in 2009 and 2017. Konstantin Nikonov won the world correspondence renju championship in 2001 and 2015 and won the Russian live renju championship in 2010 and 2016. Dmitry Epifanov won the world correspondence renju championship in 2007, took the silver medal of the same championship last year, and won the Russian live renju championship in 2013 and 2014. In the last world correspondence renju championship there were a number of strong live players, including Dmitry Epifanov, Vladimir Sushkov, Konstantin Nikonov, Aivo Oll, Tord Andersson, and Alexey Potapov. What makes these strong live players spend days and days to try to achieve virtual successes? :)

zukole 

Wysłany: 2019-04-15, 19:56   

Gram korespondencyjnie w Renju, ponieważ online za bardzo nie ma alternatywy. Ile znasz stron do grania Renju online z anglojęzycznym interfejsem i zasadą Soosyrv-8? Od kilku miesięcy takie kryteria spełnia piskvorky.net.

Nie znam ich powodów, zapytaj ;)

Top 50 rankingu korespondencyjnego vs ranking live
Cytat:
1 Zhang Jinyu China 2686 - 2376
2 Barykin Viktor Russia 2684 - 1941
3 Coco Yuang China 2684 - 0 gier live
4 Epifanov Dmitriy Russia 2644 - 2267 (69 miejsce live)
5 Balanova Jelena Latvia 2628 - 2262 (5 gier live)
6 Suslov Alexander Moldova 2624 - 0 gier live
7 Sushkov Vladimir Russia 2614 - 2494 (14 miejsce live)
8 Sun Chengmin China 2600 - 0 gier live
9 Ustimov Anatoly Russia 2584 - 0 gier live
10 Lunkin Vitali Russia 2566 - 2162
11 Hao Tianyi China 2558 - 6 gier live (bilans 1-5)
12 Bai Shi China 2552 - 0 gier live
13 Potapov Aleksey Russia 2538 - 2121 (132 miejsce live)
14 Zyazin Aleksandr Russia 2536 - 1690
15 Qi Bo China 2530 - 0 gier live
16 Aivo Oll Estonia 2526 - 2389 (34 live)
17 Song Xian China 2486 - 9 gier live (bilans 3-5-1)
18 Chen Wei China 2484 - 2324
19 Bashirov Rustam Russia 2475 - 0 gier live
20 Golosov Victor Russia 2442 - 2121 (131 live)
21 Glinka Vitaly Russia 2438 - 0 gier live
22 Yang Meng China 2420 - 0 gier live
23 Nikonov Konstantin Russia 2418 - 2269 (68 live)
24 Tarannikov Yuriy Russia 2410 - 2293 (60 live)
25 Ke Yang China 2410 - 0 gier live
26 Alonso Brazil 2402 - 0 gier live
27 Ibragimova Mariam Russia 2400 - 0 gier live
28 Melman Mark Israel 2400 - 0 gier live
29 Xu Liu China 2390 - 0 gier live
30 Filippov Sergey Russia 2382 - 2145 live
31 Gulyaev Igor Ukraine 2378 - 4 gry live (bilans 1-3)
32 Klimachev Oleg Russia 2374 - 0 gier live
33 Chuancheng Li China 2374 - 0 gier live
34 Xiaoming Wang China 2374 - 0 gier live
35 Balabhai Viktor Russia 2370 - 2007 (176 live)
36 Sviridov Nikolay Russia 2364 - 0 gier live
37 Mao Mao China 2362 - 0 gier live
38 Soosorv Ants Estonia 2354 - 2337 (43 live)
39 Kuznetsov N. Russia 2354 - 0 gier live
40 seabird 2348 - nieznany
41 Fedulina Tanja Russia 2342 - 0 gier live
42 Wu Xiaoning China 2332 - 14 gier live (bilans 4-9-1)
43 Lu FangHai China 2328 - 0 gier live
44 Filinov Vladimir Russia 2324 - 2049 (160 live)
45 Qiu Weifu China 2316 - 18 gier live (bilans 8-8-2)
46 Adamushkin Vadim Russia 2312 - 0 gier live
47 Wenzhe Lu China 2311 - 0 gier live
48 Fedorkin Oleg Russia 2308 - 2270 (66 live)
49 Bobkov Eugene Russia 2302 - 2384 live
50 Michal Zukowski Poland 2294 - 17 gier live (bilans 10-6-1)

Z korespondencyjnego top50 18 graczy ma ranking live 2000+ (178 miejsce na liście lub wyżej), 23 nie rozegrało żadnej partii, a 6 nie ustaliło rankingu. Viktor Barykin grał w lutym High League i w 15 partiach zdobył 2,5 pkt. Drugi gracz w korespondencyjnym rankingu Renju ;)

sandra113 napisał/a:
What decides in this sport is strategic planning, the ability to focus on important branches, systematic thinking, skills of computer analysis, and deep understanding of the game
W grze live potrzeba wszystkich powyższych poza skills of computer analysis. Jeśli masz wyniki online/korespondencyjne/advanced a jesteś słaby live, to masz problem z psychiką albo brakuje Ci komputerowej analizy podczas gry.

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-04-17, 14:39   

zukole napisał/a:
Gram korespondencyjnie w Renju, ponieważ online za bardzo nie ma alternatywy. Ile znasz stron do grania Renju online z anglojęzycznym interfejsem i zasadą Soosyrv-8? Od kilku miesięcy takie kryteria spełnia piskvorky.net.

You can also play Soosyrv-8 renju with an English interface on renju.in (the former renju.su). Below is a screenshot illustrating how you can create a game with the same time control as in the Euroleague, 10 min +3 sec.

(You can click on the image to better see it.)

On that server you can also play in no-prog correspondence tournaments, i.e., correspondence tournaments in which it is NOT allowed to use programs. One of such tournaments in Soosyrv-8 renju starts in a week, on Wed 24 Apr, and its participants include Dmitry Epifanov and Alexey Lebedev: http://renju.in/en/turnaments/?tur=132 . The time control of that particular tournament is 45 days. So if you want to play without computer analysis, such tournaments are a good option. You only need to read the description of each tournament to see whether using programs is allowed or not. In no-prog correspondence tournaments you can use a real or virtual board to put stones for the purpose of analysing your position during the game, but are not allowed to run a gomoku engine. Practically all players there obey the rules, although there have been a few cheaters in the past.

Looking at your statistics at renjuoffline.com, I see you that within the last six months, you finished 12 Soosyrv-8 renju games, 10 Tarannikov renju games, 10 Taraguchi renju games, and 10 Yamaguchi renju games, so you actually do not seem to strongly prefer Soosyrv-8.

And if, as it seems, you just want a good balanced opening rule, not necessarily Soosyrv-8, you have a plenty of options to play renju online in real time.

First, the Taiwanese renju community plays on tw.gamelet.com/game.do?code=fiveChess . You can play Yamaguchi renju there, and I saw, e.g., Ko-Han Chen in the statistics on that server. The interface is Chinese, but I wrote a detailed instruction how to use it: https://vk.com/topic-19499145_35809185?post=31841 . To write the instruction, I asked a Taiwanese friend of mine to explain me the interface and then verified his explanations by playing there. Below is a screenshot I took during one of my games.

Although there are very few visitors on that server at any given moment of time, you can simply create a table with the settings you want, and sooner or later you will hear a notification sound informing you that someone joined your table and wants to play. In the meantime, you can simply do other things on your computer. I myself played many games there, albeit in gomoku, not renju.

Second, the Russians organise online renju tournaments on gambler.ru . The tournaments are played with the opening rule called ''пять реверсов,'' literally ''five swaps.'' I guess this opening is known internationally as the Tarannikov rule, but I may be mistaken. The time control is 7 min + 4 sec. To play in Gamber tournaments, you have to install a special program, where you can choose an English interface. If you are interested, I am sure the Russians will gladly help you get started, as the interface is somewhat confusing if you see it for the first time.

In the beginning of 2016 Dmitry Epifanov explained me the interface, so I played in a few renju tournaments there. Here are the links to some of those tournaments:
https://www.gambler.ru/tour/527375
https://www.gambler.ru/tour/528167
https://www.gambler.ru/tour/528495
By following the links above, you can even have a look at the individual games. My nickname there was sandra113, spelt exactly as my Kurnik nickname. As you can see, in these tournaments I faced, in particular, Dmitry Epifanov (who played under the nickname Owen), Alexey Skuridin (who played under the nickname skuridin), and Alexander Razdevelyuk (who played under the nickname Полина_11). They are well-known Russian renju players. Being a complete novice in renju, I stood no chance against them, but it was an interesting experience.

As you can see on the schedule (https://www.gambler.ru/tours/?online=1&game=35&first=1&lim=20&max=3037 ), the Gambler renju tournamaments are set to start at 21:00 Moscow time each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but are actually played once per two months or so. That is, usually no one or almost no one comes, which results in an insufficient number of people for the tournament to start, but sometimes people come together to play, apparently as a result of arranging in advance. The last played tournament was held about a month ago, on 22 Mar 2019: https://www.gambler.ru/tour/691593 . The last but one tournament was played about two months before that, namely on 29 Jan 2019: https://www.gambler.ru/tour/681356 , and fourteen players participated in it, including Denis Kachaev, Ilya Katsev and Alexey Skuridin.

If you are interested to play in these tournaments, you can simply get in touch with the Russians. Here is the Gambler tournament thread on the Russian renju discussion forum: https://vk.com/topic-1735025_11813504?post=11848

Third, you can play Taraguchi renju on mindoku.com. This website is the international mirror of the Estonian website vint.ee and has an English interface. Just like on the Taiwanese website, there are generally very few visitors at any given moment of time, but you can simply enter the renju room and, if you see no one, wait for a notification sound while doing something else on your computer. The sound will notify you that you have been challenged. On that website you cannot create a table, but you can challenge anyone in the playing room. Yesterday I entered the renju room, saw no one, started doing other things on my computer, and got a few challenges within an hour or so. One Russian player recently told me she had recently played Taraguchi renju with Timo Ilu on that website. Timo's nickname there is allever. Sometimes tournaments in Taraguchi renju are played on that website, and Ants wrote about it on the Russian renju discussion forum: https://vk.com/topic-1735025_31490388

Finally, I have heard there are some very popular Chinese renju servers, and although they have no English interface, you can have the interface explained to you if you want. I was able to find a Taiwanese to explain me the interface of the Taiwanese renju server, so I believe you can find a Chinese who will recommend you a good Chinese renju server and explain you its interface. There are many Chinese renju players to contact. A friendly attitude and communication skills can do magic. Here is an advertisement poster of a Chinese renju server, namely 5ldh.net:

Even if you are unwilling to ask anyone to help you, you can learn by trial and error, as I did one-and-a-half years ago on a Japanese renju server. I passed a Japanese captcha by using the Google handwriting tool, installed the required program in order to access the server, and, despite almost everything being in Japanese, managed to play renju games there. Below you can see a screenshot of one of my games, where you can see me under the nickname sandy113. The server is apparently no longer operational, but worked at that time. Its URL was casual.hangame.co.jp/omok .

(You can click on the image to better see it.)

Anyway, I believe that in renju, you do have online alternatives to correspondence games. After all, Alexey Skuridin played in about 200 renju tournaments on gambler.ru (https://www.gambler.ru/user/74662/tours?uin=74662&game=&first=1&lim=20&max=75 ), and you could do the same :)

And despite all these opportunities, you opted to play correspondence games on renjuoffline.com and played 450 renju games there :)

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-04-17, 15:50   

zukole napisał/a:
Top 50 rankingu korespondencyjnego vs ranking live

zukole napisał/a:
Z korespondencyjnego top50 18 graczy ma ranking live 2000+ (178 miejsce na liście lub wyżej), 23 nie rozegrało żadnej partii, a 6 nie ustaliło rankingu. Viktor Barykin grał w lutym High League i w 15 partiach zdobył 2,5 pkt. Drugi gracz w korespondencyjnym rankingu Renju ;)

After your post I showed these statistics to the Russian community, and here is what Dmitry Epifanov said:

Cytat:
По многим людям там сильно неудачные данные. Барыкин становился чемпионом мира году так в 2006 - ну и возьмите его рейтинг на тот момент, будет примерно 2200, думаю. В последнюю ВЛ его позвали за пару дней до начала, он не готовился вообще - отсюда итог. Ну и вообще получается, что заочный рейтинг десятилетней давности, а очный - текущий, нехорошо. И, кстати, в предыдущей его вышке при двух пропущенных турах он стал, емнип, восьмым, обидев многих сильных игроков. Не было бы проблем транспортных (до Волгограда далековато), может, и в шестерку попал бы.

Опять же, Сушков сейчас после пары не лучших в карьере турниров. Далее, традиционно Россия очень сильна заочно (только сейчас в Китае наконец-то нашлись нам блестящие соперники), при этом по отдельным причинам средний рейтинг россиян стабильно падает год от года, что вносит систематическую погрешность в твое исследование, тобой не учтенную, и даже на Сушкове сказавшуюся.

Про многих игроков у тебя просто нет информации. Так, Баланова, когда играла очно, была весьма сильна - на уровне медалей современного чемпионата мира среди женщин, как минимум. Старики не дадут соврать. Coco Yuang, Sun Chengmin, Bai Shi, Qi Da Nei, Qi Ya, даже Song Xian (и еще несколько) - это фейки пары относительно известных и весьма сильных китайцев. Федулина Татьяна и Ибрагимова Мариам - если не изменяет память, фейк известного (и относительно крепкого) российского игрока.

В общем, исследование пока так себе.

My translation:

- begin of the translation -

Data on many people are really inappropriate or misleading there. Barykin became the world correspondence champion in about 2006, so take his live rating of that time. It is about 2200, I think. Concerning his participation in the last High League, he was invited just a couple of days before its start, so he did not prepare at all, hence such a result. Overall it is bad that while you take his correspondence rating earned a decade ago, his live rating is taken as recently changed. And, by the way, in his previous High League he took, if my memory serves me, the 8th place despite skipping two rounds. He bit off points from many strong players in that tournament. If he had had no travel issues (related to the high distance from his city, Volgograd), he might have finished in the top 6.

Also, Sushkov's performance in his last two live tournaments was not his finest hour at all. Moreover, while Russia is traditionally very strong in correspondence renju, with the Chinese having finally become strong opponents only recently, the average live rating of Russians has been falling since years ago for various reasons (unrelated to the actual level of play), and this introduces a systematic error in this investigation. This error is not taken into account in this investigation and even affected where Sushkov is.

Significant information is missing about many players on the list. For example, Balanova was very strong in live tournaments, with her level at that time being no worse than the current level of modern medal winners of woman's world renju championship at least. People who played at that time will correct me if I am mistaken. Coco Yuang, Sun Chengmin, Bai Shi, Qi Da Nei, Qi Ya, even Song Xian, and a few more are fakes that were operated by two relatively known and quite strong Chinese. Tatyana Fedulina and Mariam Ibragimova are, if my memory serves me, fakes that were operated by a known and relatively decent Russian player.

So overall the investigation is not of good quality at all.

- end of the translation -

Motivated by him, I decided to perform a serious investigation to find out whether there is a correlation between the level of play in correspondence renju and the level of play in live renju. To do so, I decided to use only data of Russian players, because there are systematic differences in live ratings between different countries, i.e., one and the same level of play corresponds to different ratings in different countries. Furthermore, I decided to take only those players who are still on the live rating list of active players, i.e., only those players whose last live performance dates back to no more than five years ago. This removes the systematic error caused by the effective change of the rating scale with time, i.e., one and the same level of play corresponds to different ratings nowadays and many years ago, and I wanted to remove that factor. I also excluded Barykin from the statistics because of the reasons explained by Dmitry Epifanov.

With the restrictions outlined above, I got the following data from the first 200 lines of the correspondence rating list:

Kod:
Correspondence rating | Live rating | Player

2644 2267 Epifanov Dmitriy
2614 2494 Sushkov Vladimir
2538 2121 Potapov Aleksey
2442 2121 Golosov Victor
2418 2269 Nikonov Konstantin
2410 2293 Tarannikov Yuriy
2370 2007 Balabhai Viktor
2324 2049 Filinov Vladimir
2308 2270 Fedorkin Oleg
2262 1922 Volkov Sergey
2234 2216 Makarov Pavel
2232 2124 Mikhailov Alexey
2228 2115 Artemyev Sergey
2160 2106 Berezin Roman
2157 2598 Chingin Konstantin
2151 1893 Metreveli Irina
2142 2008 Danilin Ivan
2126 2235 Karasyov Maxim
2092 2238 Kareev Vlad
2090 2132 Vershinin Pavel
2064 2123 Serdiukov E.
2062 1735 Salnikova Nonna
2061 2115 Artemiev Sergey
2042 2331 Kozhin Mikhail
2036 2157 Salnikov Pavel

I did not exclude anyone except Ekaterina Glibina, for she has a very odd live rating (1321) and may have been helped by others in her correspondence games, especially as the live rating list contains Alexey Glibin, apparently her relative.

So I got 25 points, and here is how they look in a graph:

I calculated the Pearson correlation coefficient, and it turned out to be equal to 0.27. That is, the correlation is 27%.

The actual correlation between the live and correspondence levels must be even stronger, because a number of players in the above statistics (e.g., Berezin and Kozhin) failed to finish many games in their last correspondence championships, which resulted in automatic losses and big negative changes of the ratings. The resulting ratings of such players do not reflect the actual correspondence level of play and thus worsen the correlation.

Taking only those players who are above Berezin on the above list, i.e., the first 13 players, I got the following graph:

For these 13 points the Pearson correlation coefficient is 0.54, i.e., the correlation is as strong as 54%! The correlation is so strong that it can be easily seen in the graph by the naked eye.

The conclusion is simple: There is a certain substantial correlation between the level of play in correspondence renju and the level of play in live renju. Of course, correspondence renju and live renju are different sports, but there are some factors resulting in that strong live players are more likely to succeed in correspondence renju and vice versa.

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-04-17, 16:12   

zukole napisał/a:
W grze live potrzeba wszystkich powyższych poza skills of computer analysis. Jeśli masz wyniki online/korespondencyjne/advanced a jesteś słaby live, to masz problem z psychiką albo brakuje Ci komputerowej analizy podczas gry.

Live games are about the ability to solve things in mind. You sit at the board for hours and think, think, and think, being not allowed to even make records of your thoughts. The competition is in a large extent about the ability to store and process heaps of data in your short-term memory without writing anything. The greatest legend of the gomoku world, Attila Demjan, was famous for his exceptional calculation skills.

But is this ability - the ability to solve complex things in mind without writing anything - really needed in real life?

I worked in science for many years and can assure you that even top scientists are not really different from ordinary people in the ability to, for example, multiply big numbers in mind. When people analyse complex things, they make records. They do not think for hours without writing anything. In research, we use many tools - computers, programs, equipment, etc. Even when we make simplest calculations to derive some simple formulas, we use at least a pen and paper.

In real life, you need two abilities: (i) the ability to quickly think in, e.g., oral negotiations, and in order to quickly get routine things done, (ii) the ability to carefully and scrupulously analyse and decide on complex issues by using any means you can use, such as a pen, paper, computer, books, data records, etc. Ability (i) corresponds to blitz games, and ability (ii) corresponds to correspondence games. The ability to solve complex things in mind by thinking for hours without making any records - as required in classic live games - is something not really needed in real life.

And if someone is an outstanding player in correspondence games and just an average player in live games, he may simply not have developed the ability to calculate far in his mind. He may have simply not been motivated to develop this ability, in the first place. What, after all, use could he make of this ability beyond live tournaments? And if you see only, say, 3-5 moves ahead, you cannot do much in live tournaments regardless of how well you understand the game.

Correspondence games are about the ability to perform a great analysis and about research skills. By playing correspondence games, you learn a serious approach to strategy and planning. You learn a serious approach to analytical work. You learn long-term discipline. You learn to make very elaborated plans and stick to them. You become a great analyst and develop very useful analytical skills. And you can use these skills in everyday life to take important decisions - e.g., devising a tax evasion scheme, starting a business, making important career decisions, etc. You do not need to make decisions on such matters in your mind without making any records, but you need to be able to perform serious analytical work using any means you can.

So playing correspondence games well may be, in fact, more useful than playing live games, contrary to what many people might think.

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-07-22, 04:20   

The climax of the world correspondence gomoku championship is rapidly approaching. More than a half of the games have already ended, and not much time is left in the remaining games, but it is still very unclear as to who will win the first ever world correspondence gomoku championship title. It is still very unclear as to who will prove to be the best analyst. It is still very unclear as to who will prove to be the wisest, most skilled, most disciplined, and most devoted to our beautiful game. It is still very unclear as to whose analysis is longer and most skilful.

The main contenders are perhaps the most charismatic people in the gomoku world.

Great Lord Lamaza, whose secular name is Alex Popiel, is the godfather of the strongest and most fearsome gomoku clan, The Lords of XO, which won the largest number of the Euroleague titles as compared to all other clans and includes such strong players as Gergo, Adifek, Gelo, and Peking. Only a true leader could unite such ambitious players from various countries into a single family. The Great Lord's charisma, passion for analysis, charm, organisational skills, and result-orientedness are known to everyone. In terms of effort spent for analysis in his life he is probably second to no one. His clan possesses a unique database, to which a lot of effort was invested. The Great Lord is fighting for the honour of his clan.

Sensei Owen, whose secular name is Dmitry Epifanov, is a great renju trainer and the winner of the world correspondence renju championship 2007. He wrote perhaps the most detailed renju opening theory book ever, "The Caged Tiger," which includes 1400+ diagrams. Sensei Owen is also a vice-president of the Renju International Federation and won the Russian renju championship in 2013 and 2014. By participating in this correspondence championship, the great renju sensei challenges the might of best gomoku analysts, including the Great Lord himself, in their own game.

Usiek, whose secular name is Łukasz Majksner, is the only non-ex-USSR country analyst out of 10 players who managed to qualify to the High League of this championship. Also known as Grizzlyman, this aggressive Pole was the founder and captain of the Euroleagueo team "Get Rekt," whose name says it all, and is the current King of the Hill in real-time advanced gomoku. He is the Polish gomoku champion of 2016 and a team world champion of the same year. In the last world team championship, the aggressive grizzly was put by his teammates on the first board, where he defeated Martez in the decisive round and thereby brought the bronze to the Polish team. And now the brave grizzly fights alone against the Russian horde. The hearts of many Polish gomoku fans are definitely with their hero.

Popovich, whose secular name is Andrey Litvinenko, fights for the honour of the Tyumen gomoku clan, known as Polar Bears. Appearing pretty friendly and kind, this mighty Russian bear is in fact highly ambitious and a great analyst who is well known for his past analysis of a number of legendary openings. With a live rating of 1727, he is the highest rated Siberian player. His nickname, Popovich, is the name of a folk hero of Kievan Rus who is described in Russian ballads as a clever-minded warrior who wins by tricking and outsmarting his foes.

It stands to reason that all three medals of this correspondence championship will be distributed among the above four warriors, but who will win which medal? This is what is being decided now.

And one of the key games is between Sensei Owen and Usiek. The current position is shown in the diagram below. Sensei Owen put a new opening invented by himself, placing two stones on an edge to exclude them from the game, so the opening basically consists of only one stone. According to the grizzly, the opening is so astonishingly tricky that he elected to add two stones, which is an extremely rare thing in correspondence gomoku because the player who chooses a colour is considered to be at an advantage. Thus, in effect, by putting such an opening the great renju sensei was able to turn the tables and get the right to choose a colour. Yet Usiek chose an elegant way of adding two stones, converting the sensei's opening to a well-balanced edge opening and thereby rendering the sensei's deep analysis of the opening superfluous. A positional fight ensued, and the mighty grizzly now appears to have positionally out-powered his foe and to be finishing him off. The timing of Usiek's last moves leaves little doubt that the bloody grizzly sees his win. And the A1 stone, which was intended by the sensei to be excluded from the game, may well end up being a stepping stone for the final attack by the grizzly!

In the other game between the same players Sensei Owen seems to have an advantage, and the key question is whether Usiek's thin red line will hold the attack. If it will, the mighty Polish analyst will emerge victorious in this principal two-game duel.

Usiek also impressively scalped Popovich, as shown in the diagram below. Popovich must have believed he had achieved a highly advantageous position. He put stone 47 at the upper flank, obviously intending to build his win there. In response, Usiek put a stone near the lower edge. It was a very tricky VCT that Popovich had missed. The VCT threat had been created by move 46, which was a blocking move. Popovich surely will remember this game for the rest of his life. Yet again Usiek made the name "Get Rekt" come true. As the other game between these two contenders ended as a draw, Usiek emerged victorious in the two-game duel against the Siberian bear.

Even the Great Lord himself fell victim to the grizzly's claws. Usiek chose a colour in the Great Lord's sharp opening and made him surrender already after move 37. The other game between them in underway and looks drawish.

Such a great performance by Usiek is somewhat spoiled by his underestimating some other participants and losing some points to them, so even his great performance in the direct encounters against his principal opponents may be not enough to win the title.

The decisive ability in this championship may prove to be the ability to avoid losing points to second-class opponents, and this is something at which Sensei Owen appears to be the best. After all, he is the only participant who technically has not yet lost even a half-point. His utmost care and extremely serious, professional approach are likely to bring him the title.

A very interesting battle is unfolding between the Great Lord and Popovich, who have some old Euroleague scores to settle. The current position is shown below. The Great Lord put quite a tricky scheme, and then Mikhail Kozhin intervened by publicly posting his own analysis of that scheme. Following this, Popovich chose a colour, but it is the Great Lord who now seems to be getting the upper hand. If he crushes the polar bear directly from the scheme put by the Great Lord himself, it will be an excellent demonstration of the Lords' power.

Have a look at the battles of this correspondence championship yourself: http://renju.in/en/turnaments/?tur=121&table . These games are perhaps the highest-quality gomoku games ever played.

Who will become the champion? Whoever wins the gold, he will most likely win it by the skin of his teeth.

bbj 

Wysłany: 2019-07-23, 21:57   

sandra113 napisał/a:
Popovich surely will remember this game for the rest of his life.

I think that everyone of us will remeber this game to the our last days. The most outstanding game ever of whole gomoku history forever!

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-08-06, 19:47   

bbj napisał/a:
sandra113 napisał/a:
Popovich surely will remember this game for the rest of his life.

I think that everyone of us will remeber this game to the our last days. The most outstanding game ever of whole gomoku history forever!

Got your attention, Bobby :)

If your remark was meant to be sarcastic, I would like tell you that correspondence players invest really many, many hours to each game. They make strategic plans and analyze, analyze, and analyze. Being unable to calculate the game to the end, they make intuitive decisions based on their understanding of the game. It is hard work and an art. And winning a game to which you invested so much efforts means a lot for you. And losing a game to which you invested a lot of efforts is hurtful. This is why I wrote that "Popovich surely will remember this game for the rest of his life."

sandra113 

Wysłany: 2019-08-06, 19:50   

I recently wrote an article comparing live games and correspondence games and am re-posting it here. Hopefully you will find my observations useful and thought-stimulating.

- begin of the article -

I recently found myself thinking about which kind of gomoku games - live games or correspondence games - is more useful in terms of developing qualities or abilities needed in real life. I made some interesting observations and decided to share them in this article.

Live games are about the ability to solve things in mind. You sit at the board for hours and think, think, think, being not allowed to make records of your thoughts. The competition is about the ability to store and process heaps of data in your short-term memory. Of course, knowledge of deep gomoku principles, gomoku shapes, tricks, or opening variants can give you some advantage or compensate for a somewhat inferior calculation ability, but you cannot do much if you see only 3-5 moves ahead. The greatest gomoku legend, Attila Demjan, was famous for his exceptional calculation skills.

But is this ability - the ability to solve complex things in mind without writing anything - really needed in real life?

I worked in science (physics) for many years and well know that even top scientists are not really different from ordinary people in the ability to, for example, multiply big numbers in mind or visualise complex things in mind. When people analyse complex things, they make records. They do not think for hours without writing anything. In research, we use many tools - computers, programs, equipment, etc. Even when we make simple calculations to derive simple formulas, we use a pen and paper.

In real life, you need two basic thinking abilities: (i) the ability to quickly think in, e.g., oral negotiations, and in order to quickly get routine things done, (ii) the ability to do ''homework,'' i.e., the ability to carefully and scrupulously analyse complex issues step-by-step by using any means you can use, such as a pen, paper, computer, books, written materials (e.g., laws or statistics), etc. Ability (i) corresponds to blitz games, and ability (ii) corresponds to correspondence games. The ability to solve things in mind by thinking for hours without making any records - as required in classic live games - seems to be something not really needed in real life.

If someone is an outstanding player in correspondence games and just an average player in live games, he may simply have not developed the ability to calculate far in his mind. He may have simply not been motivated to develop this ability, in the first place. What, after all, use could he make of this ability beyond live tournaments?

Some people might argue that live games are a brain training that physiologically develops the short-term memory (i.e., the physiological ability to store and process data in mind without writing), and might argue that a well-developed short-term memory is useful in that it helps you think more effectively and ''see more things'' when you think about something in real life, even when you can make records.

This argument might seem appealing to many, but there are two very strong counter-arguments.

First of all, is an overly developed short-term memory a good thing, in the first place? Is it a healthy habit to keep many things in the short-term memory? This is what top chess players are used to do, and a number of them ended up being pretty weird, with perhaps the most known examples being Paul Morphy and Bobby Fischer. They behaved in a very weird way and made bizarre statements, with Bobby Fischer even publicly saying, ''I want to see the U.S. wiped out.'' I heard many weird things from top gomoku players as well, including ideas about becoming the ruler of a country and organising a society built on some utopian principles. Mikhail Lomakin, a prominent Russian gomoku player, promoted the idea that the Mongols who conquered Russia centuries ago belonged to the white, not yellow, race. He also wrote a book whose central idea is that gomoku is the historic origin of all board games. I am therefore afraid that overly developing the short-term memory may create an unbalanced brain.

I recall a related argument I had in Australia with a friend of mine. He told me there was a proof or evidence that regular music exercises (e.g., playing piano) help develop the neural connection between the brain hemispheres in children, increasing the brain part that serves as the ''bridge.'' He used this to explain why children should attend music classes. I responded that it is for a reason that the neural connection between the hemispheres was designed by Mother Nature to have a very small transmission capacity. The hemispheres need to be almost entirely isolated from each other, as otherwise there would be no need for the mankind to develop two visually distinct hemispheres, in the first place. If it were beneficial to have a great transmission capacity between the hemispheres, such a capacity would naturally develop in the course of natural selection. Thus, I argued, if music classes indeed result in increasing the transmission capacity between the hemispheres, then music classes well may actually do harm, and then it is a good reason why children should NOT attend music classes.

Analogously, overly developing the short-term memory well may be a bad thing, and I can see a potential reason why. When you think about something, you have to focus on the most important or most relevant things. This prevents you from being distracted and helps you make decisions effectively. So you need to store quite a limited number of things in your short-term memory. If you have an overly developed short-term memory due to unnatural exercises such as live games, you may often get distracted and strayed away by excessive thoughts and excessive data accumulated in your short-term memory. You may get overwhelmed by various ideas or even get obsessive thoughts. We are given quite a limited short-term memory by Mother Nature for a reason.

The second counter-argument is that all intellectual qualities needed in everyday life naturally get developed to the extent you actually need them: For example, if you have a job that requires a certain intellectual quality, this quality naturally gets developed simply by your everyday work. So if you have not developed a certain intellectual ability to a certain extent, you probably do not need it. Why then do you need to develop it by doing mental exercises such as live games? You could spend your time for something more useful in terms of your life goals.

Some people might argue that live games help develop visuospatial and pattern recognition abilities.

But, again, is overly developing visuospatial and pattern recognition abilities a good and useful thing in real life? I have doubts, and my reasoning goes along the same lines as above. People who have overly developed imagination well may be prone to wild thoughts, analogies, and distractions. Everything you need in everyday life gets naturally developed on its own.

And these observations prompt a fundamental question: Actually why do people play live games?

I asked many players why they play live games, and practically no one mentioned the idea that live games may be useful in terms of developing abilities or qualities needed in real life. My impression is that a majority of people play live gomoku simply because they like it.

But exactly why do people like playing live gomoku?

Based on my talks with various players, my impression is that there are many reasons, including (but not necessarily limited to):
(i) self-affirmation, enjoying the taste of victory, feeding the ego,
(ii) enjoying being an artist by creating things on the board,
(iii) a refreshing change from everyday life, and
(iv) social interaction.

Component (i) seems to be prevalent for many. For example, Vladimir Semenov, a prominent Russian renju player and a talented writer, wrote (as translated by me from Russian): ''Playing on a real board with a good time control, i.e., a time control exceeding one hour, has its charm incomparable with that of one-minute gomoku or other kinds of online gomoku games. Here is one thing out of many that you cannot experience online: Catching the decaying hopeless look of the opponent at the moment he realises that he lost and has no escape route. The feeling you experience at that moment is something to which practically nothing in real life is comparable. Figuratively speaking, one can give everything in exchange for that feeling.''

Live games appear to be well suitable for self-affirmation if you need it. You physically see your opponent, you beat him on a real board and catch his decaying hopeless look, then he stops the clock and congratulates you, and then real people around you talk about your success and award you a medal. The victory is for all to see and indisputable, as live tournaments are devoid of cheating.

Have you ever wondered why live tournaments are characterised by a low proportion of females? Is it because, as some people believe, females are physiologically less capable? I do not think so, because, for example, in 2005 the Russian female renju player Yulia Savrasova won the Russian renju championship among men, finishing above such monsters as Sergey Artemyev, Pavel Salnikov, Konstantin Chingin, Vlad Kareev, and Konstantin Nikonov. I think the real reason for the low female proportion is that on average, females do not have such a strong need for self-affirmation as men do. Females tend to be more practical, more materialistic, more focused on real life matters, and less motivated to develop game skills and less interested in glory unless they can derive a profit from it.

Moreover, self-affirmation due to winning live gomoku tournaments is delusional to a great extent, because in live gomoku tournaments nothing real is at stake. Okay, you won a live gomoku tournament, but who said your opponents were really motivated? Ask yourself the following powerful question: Would you be able to win the same tournament against the same players if the prize were 100,000$ and announced well in advance so that the players could really prepare? It would be very different play, wouldn't it? So maybe you won simply because you were more motivated than your opponents were? What is then the reason to be proud? What is the reason to be proud of having been more motivated, as compared to others, to play a game that brings no real benefits?

Despite having never played in live gomoku tournaments, I well know what live games are like, as I participated in official live chess tournaments for children when I was about 10 years old. My parents wanted me to become a professional chess player, and I studied chess at a chess club at that time. I suppose I was more motivated than most gomoku players are. I saw chess as a profession, I saw games as a job, and I saw tournaments as exams. I did not feel that by studying and playing chess I developed something needed outside chess. And later I quit chess as a result of realising the extent to which professional chess requires studying and learning opening variants. I simply did not want to devote my life to studying and learning opening variants of a game with artificial rules.

I played a considerable amount of online gomoku games with time controls of 20-30 min, which must be comparable to live gomoku games in terms of developing various abilities, and at such time controls I clearly felt that everything boiled down to calculation. I clearly felt that it was primarily about who can see more. I clearly felt that it was simply about the ability to solve things in mind.

Summarising all of the above, I find it highly questionable that live gomoku games have a substantial value, especially in terms of developing qualities and abilities needed in real life. I started playing gomoku in 2015 and since then have been unable to find any motivation to participate in live tournaments.

But what about correspondence games?

They are about the ability to perform a great analysis and about research skills. By playing correspondence games, you learn a serious approach to strategy and planning. You learn a serious approach to analytical work. You learn long-term discipline. You learn to make very elaborated plans and to stick to them. You learn general principles of strategy. You become a great analyst and develop very useful analytical skills.

And you can use these skills in everyday life to take important decisions - e.g., devising a tax evasion scheme, starting a business, making important career decisions, etc. You do not need to make decisions on such matters in your mind without making any records, but you need to be able to perform serious analytical work using any means you can.

Correspondence games do not physiologically train your brain, but rather teach you useful concepts and approaches to analytical work and strategy. Correspondence games do not require keeping a lot of information in your short-term memory and thus do not subject your brain to unnatural loads, in contrast to live games.

Successful correspondence players are generally great people. For example, the main favourites of the current world correspondence gomoku championship are Great Lord Lamaza (aka Alex Popiel) and Sensei Owen (aka Dmitry Epifanov). The former is a successful scientist, a linguist, and the latter was very successful in Russian physics Olympiads and currently works at Yandex, the Russian analogue of Google. The last two world correspondence renju championships were won by Hao Tianyi, who also won a gold medal in the 25th Chinese Mathematical Olympiad.

So playing correspondence games well may be, in fact, more useful than playing live games, contrary to what many people might think.

- end of the article -

Odpowiedz do tematu